2018/19 Police precept consultation
Policing is continuing to evolve in North Yorkshire as it responds to the changing nature of crime and demands on our police service.
Despite these challenges, I am also pleased to say that North Yorkshire remains the safest place in England.
I want to thank those of you who shared your views and helped set the priorities for the police force which formed the basis of our Police and Crime Plan 2017 – 2021, a document that helps me to ensure the Chief Constable delivers on what matters to you.
Another part of my role is to set the police precept, the amount you pay for policing in your council tax.
Before I can set the precept, it’s important that I understand what you think, so please complete my survey and tell me your views.
There are three options I would like to hear your views on, these are:
- Freeze the precept – do not pay more than you pay now
This would mean a cut to the police budget.
- Increase the precept by 1.99%
This is an extra £4.40 per year (8p per week) for a Band D property.
This would raise around £1.3 million for next year and subsequent years.
- Increase the precept by more than 1.99%
This would raise more money.
This would mean spending at least £700,000 on a referendum on the proposals.
How is North Yorkshire Police funded?
About 53 per cent of funding comes from the Government while the remaining 47 per cent is raised locally, mainly through the ‘police precept’ – the amount you pay for local policing in your council tax.
Our government funding is expected to reduce in 2018/19 and continue to reduce in 2019/20.
Over the past seven years, our central funding has been reduced from £87 million in 2010/2011 to a forecast £67 million in 2018/19. If you take into account the effect of inflation, this equates to nearly £40 million in real terms.
What would happen if we froze the precept?
If we froze the precept, taking account of increasing costs previously mentioned and inflation, this would effectively mean a cut to North Yorkshire Police’s budget.
This would come at a time when certain types of crime are putting increasing pressure on the police, especially neighbourhood policing. These include services to protect the most vulnerable people in our society, particularly our children, people at risk of domestic abuse and hate crime.
What would happen if we increase the amount we pay by 1.99 per cent?
This would raise just over £1.3 million for next year and – importantly – subsequent years.
However, it would mean the average household paying 8p a week, which is £4.40 a year, more.
Can we increase our contribution by more than two per cent?
Yes. But the Government will only allow that if we carry out a local referendum which could cost at least £700,000.
What do I pay now and what would an increase of 1.99% mean to me?
|Property Band||2017/18||2018/19||Increase per Annum||Increase per Week|
Have your say
- Completing the online survey
- Sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Calling my office on 01423 569 562
- Send me a letter:
Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire
12 Granby Road
Harrogate HG1 4ST
Thank you for your time
Survey closes at midnight on Sunday 28 January 2018